Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Poison Pills ... Feel better??

Modern medicine does some great things... but there is a cost. No, I don't mean the rising cost of health care, I mean the cost to your body in damage from toxic drugs. We all know about the powerful toxins, Chemo and Botox, but drugs we take routinely can do lots of damage, too. Too often, we try to 'get better' by taking poison pills.

It's a good idea to consider any drug you use, as a toxic, hazardous material unless proven otherwise. Prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications and natural supplements will often be toxic to the liver at some dosage. The kidneys also can be damaged or destroyed by drug toxicity.

Given the purpose of these strong chemicals, it's hardly surprising that hundreds of FDA approved medications have potential to do serious damage to internal organs. Generally, most drugs are poisonous if you take too much, take it too long, or take them in the wrong combinations. Health care professionals are busy, goal directed and sometimes they don't ask enough questions. In the US, a new organ failure victim is added to the transplant waiting list every 10 minutes. If you want to be a survivor, don't wait for the doctor or pharmacist; ask lots of your own questions about chemicals you put in your mouth, unless you're prepared to add your name to that growing transplant list.

No comments: