The sensible compromise is to make your home relatively toxin-safe, by avoiding the most likely risks. Here is a quick list to consider:
- Avoid leaded paint, asbestos insulation & formaldehyde insulation
- If you are in an area where radon may be present, have the house tested for it
- Avoid homes with past insecticide treatments that are still hazardous
- Watch out for industrial facilities nearby, or old industrial pollution from past activity on or near the property
- If you have allergies, sensitivities or autoimmune issues, check out the risks of the house and neighborhood related to those concerns
Ultimately, you can live a relatively clean life where toxins and disease are not putting you at a high risk of illness or death with some effort. Depending on what you are willing to give up, you can live cleaner but more rustic, or a little riskier, with more conveniences. The choice is yours.